Pages

Friday 21 July 2017

Day #6: Native Aotearoa.

Day #6: Native Aotearoa.
Hi, guys, this is going to be my last post for the Winter Learning Journey. Anyways for this activity, I have to write a poem about me just arriving at Shag Point.
Activity 1:
File:Perbargus Point West Portholland - geograph.org.uk - 514754.jpgI’m off the boat and I set my feet into the sand. I hear the people surrounding me asking questions in another language. I smell the yummy fish they are cooking and the ones in the Sea. I look behind, Should I stay? The Villagers greet me with a Hongi and into their Village, showing me new things and facts about their culture. “Yay I shout, I finally found the home.

Image attribution: David Mitchell [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
Read about the Matariki festival at Te Papa.  There are so many different things to see and do at the festival this year. On your blog, tell us about three of the events. You can choose any three events that you wish.             
Let’s Begin.
           Activity 2:
  1. Star Weave Jam: Because you can weave stars out of many materials like recycled materials.
  2. Ngā Kai o Matariki: Celebrating Māori Cuisine: because I love cooking and we also get to taste some samples of yummy food
  3. Timo Timo: Because I love hearing people sing and stories too!


Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺


File:All Blacks Haka.jpg
Image attribution: By Sonya & Jason Hills from London, UK [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons


At the end of your day at Te Papa, you head to your hotel in the centre of Wellington. You are staying on Cuba Street, one of the coolest streets in the city.
Here is my opinion.
#1. Rugby World Cup 2011- All Blacks vs France.
#2. All Blacks vs South Africa 2016.
#3.World Cup 2015 – All Blacks vs Argentina


I really enjoyed and learnt a lot on the Winter Learning Journey. I can not wait until the next Summer Learning Journey or Winter Learning Journey! See you guys until the first day of Term 3!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Pisirina,

    I am so happy to read that you have enjoyed the Winter Learning Journey (WLJ) programme. We can't wait to have you join us again this coming summer for our next programme!

    In the meantime, I will look forward to seeing you when I come into Pt England on Friday to hand out the certificates and prizes to all of the WLJ participants.

    See you very soon!!

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post Pisi!

    I loved your poem! It was very beautiful. The bit when you said asking questions in another language was quite funny to me. Were they speaking Maori or Samoan. Keep it up Pisirina!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete