Pages

Saturday 17 August 2019

Bringing back the dead - Reading 2019

WALT: Discuss And Justify An Opinion On A Topic

Why are scientists interested in de-extinction?

Scientists are interested in De-extinction because they could bring back extinct animals to life and those animals may be able to help our problems around the world.

The extinct animals such as dinosaurs are a part of History and if we bring them back we could make a huge impact on our surroundings and we can make new history with them.

Describe the three main categories of de-extinction.

Cloning: To make an identical copy of something

Synthesis: A combination of elements/compounds to create something wholly

Back Breeding: This method can recreate the traits of an extinct species, but the genome will differ from the original species. It is when you try to create an extinct species using an animal that looks similar to it. You do not know how it behaves but only an idea of how it looks because it's extinct!



Poster 
The poster below is showing one of the 3 main categories/methods that scientist use to bring extinct life back. I have chosen Back breeding or Breeding back. This was interesting to me so I decided why not research it and share my knowledge with you all! 

My task was to watch this video that describes the "Science behind De-extinction". I then had to research further and describe in my own words one of the 3 main methods. After researching, I had to create a Poster putting all the research and knowledge I have learnt on it. 
Here it is!



My thoughts on De-extinction


Lastly, I thought I should add my thoughts on De-extinction! I know I am not a Scientist but having a Childs Point of View or Opinion would be great. After all, Someday you all would be gone and I would still be standing. What I mean is that it's our future you have to think about. Is it going to have an impact on our environment, not just the Earth but in our Communities? 

I think that bringing back Extinct Species is a bad idea! For example, Bringing back the Passenger Pigeon Species is bad. Why?, Well, Humans don't even like Pigeons in the first place. So, if you think about Passenger Pigeons coming back to life, we're just gonna treat them as pigeons.

We don't know how these Extinct animals behave. So, why bring them back? They may help our diminished Ecosystem but what if it doesn't. There isn't much proof that makes me change how I feel about it.

These species were extinct for a reason, whether it was because of Colonization or from humans eating them, it is Extinct. It is all History and it will stay like that. The past is the past, the present is now and the future is the future.
Let's all leave the past behind, live in the Present and think ahead for our children's future!



No comments:

Post a Comment